Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Father's Day Weekend

My dad comes from a very large family. He has 1 brother and 4 sisters. Even though most of them and their families live in the surrounding Houston area, we usually only see one another a couple of times year. Thank goodness, for facebook. :) I feel like I see and talk to all of them everyday! Anyway, this past Saturday (yes, the day after we returned from vacation), we loaded up the car early in the morning and made our way to Surfside Beach, for our annual summertime get-together. It was a first for all of us to gather at the beach. I think 34 of us family members were able to make it. And..that isn't even everyone in the family!

My Aunt Nancy (dad's sister), who is above and beyond creative, has a beach house in Surfside. For this particular event, she rented out the local pavilion for the entire day. We all had such a great time. The weather was perfect! We loved getting to spend time with family. And...the kids LOVED being with their cousins and my very own cousins (who now babysit my own kids when they are home from college). :)

There were sand buckets for each of the kiddos. Each one was filled with various beach toys and sun visors. They loved them!

The pavilion was decorated SO cute. A flag banner hung around the whole pavilion. Each flag was made out of scraps from my aunts sewing room. I told her that I would be borrowing it for future b-day parties! :)

YES, she made koozie covers for everyone! Oh, my goodness! How cute are these?!

Group shot.
Some were missing that were there (like my dad), because they were actually taking the pic.

Sibling shot.
The empty space, is for my dad's oldest sister. She and her family live in Missouri and weren't able to make it this year.

There was a lot of catching up with everyone, eating, and just having a great time with family.

After lunch, we finally hit up the beach. The kids had a ball!

Conn, had to leave earlier in the day, to make it back in time for Saturday night church services. Pappy, helped me out and took over Cash "duty" for a while. Whew! That boy will wear a person out in a hurry. He is as sweet as can be, but he is literally NON-STOP!

After about 4 hrs. on the beach, we headed back to the pavilion to clean up. My aunt, had another surprise for all of the kids. She had bought a t-shirt for each family to decorate for their dad's for Father's Day. It was such a fun idea. The girls LOVED it and could not wait to give it to Conn. Of course, as you'll see in some pics coming up, he wore very it proudly on Father's Day! :)

******************************

When Conn got home from church on Sunday, the kids presented him with his special shirt. He loved it! :)

We then served him a yummy lunch of chicken nuggets and mac-n-cheese. Yeah, we're classy like that.

Conn, then played and sang this song for us. He is currently working on it during his weekly piano lessons. He has gotten really good. I am so proud of him!

After our Sunday naps, we treated Conn to a real Father's Day meal. His all time favorite...Mexican food! YUM! Oh, and I told ya that he wore that shirt proudly! :)

Even though our local Mexican restaurant serves FREE ice cream, the girls begged their daddy for REAL ice cream at the ice cream shop a couple of stores down. HA! Of course, their daddy would not say, "No!" HA!

We LOVE him!

5 comments:

Abby said...

I love the shirt you rkiddos made for Conn and that he looks so happy wearing it!

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Happy Father's Day to a GREAT dad!!! And what a fun day at the beach with all the fam!! What a GREAT weekend! We are BLESSED!!!
Mammy

Connie McWhorter said...

Oh, my, what a fun family reunion and great Father's Day! Loved the "made with love" shirt and all the pink noses! Love you, Nanny

Our Life Together said...

Sounds like little Cash is like Luke, whew is he BUSY!!!! Looks like a wonderful Father's Day Weekend! Glad Conn enjoyed it!!!

Lindsee Lou said...

I honestly think you have such a fun family! Y'all are always doing the neatest things. What a fun day! I'm sure you're traveled out by now! :)