Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fire Cracker Blood

One of the many blogs I read, is Proverbs 31 Ministries. If you have never read Lysa's blog before, you should. It is really great!

With Cash coming...around 4 weeks from today....I might add, I REALLY needed to "hear" this as I tend to experience the fire cracker blood more so than usual these days.

*************************************************

The very last good nerve

In the South we have a phrase that appropriately describes the way one might feel after returning home from a wonderful trip to many demands of many people:

"I only have one good nerve and you are about to get on it!"

You see when mama is away, the little people tend to play. Chores sometimes only get half done. Wet laundry gets left in the washer for days and stinks to high heaven. And the drying rack that mama treasures because the dryer sins against all things with shrinkage possibility, gets broken into six pieces.

Not that I came home and started complaining or pointing these things out or letting any of this get on my VERY LAST GOOD NERVE. Or anything like that.

For all three of you that can identify with getting frustrated with those you love the very most in the whole wide world, there is hope.

I'm learning there is a silver lining to every frustrating experience. Every time I'm pushed to the point where I want to raise my voice and let my head spin around three times, I have to see it as an opportunity to let God interrupt my natural way of responding.

These can be a growth opportunities, if I chose to react God's way instead of my way. But oh what a battle this can be!

My feelings say, "Yell! Scream! You should be stinkin' mad over this!"

God's spirit in me says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath. No good can come out of losing your temper."

But then my feelings say, "Oh no ma'am. It will make you feel so much better to just have a little hissy fit."

God's spirit in me says, "What might feel good in the moment will just pile more turmoil and yuck on this situation."

Ephesians 4: 29 tells us, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the holy spirit with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, and slander along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other just as Christ God forgave you."

Why is this so hard to do?

I remember seeing June Clever on the TV. Nothing got on that woman's nerves! She was always responding so gently with, "that's okay dear."

I'm convinced June had none of the Italian blood that I have coursing through my veins. But I'm also convinced that with God all things are possible. And even if you have fire cracker blood like I do, there is one thing that has helped me more than anything in the staying calm department...

pausing.

When something happens that triggers an instant rise in my frustration, if I can pause just for a second or two, God can interrupt my natural response and redirect me.

If I respond instantly, my natural reaction can be so ugly sometimes.

Pause.

It's a wonderful thing.

Pause. God will you help me?

It's a redirecting thing.

Pause. God will you show me?

It's a growth thing I'm slowly learning.

Pause. God will you grow me into the woman I so desire to be?

Pause.

8 comments:

Carly O'Quinn said...

Oooooooooo...I have some kind of fire-cracker blood. Thanks for sharing, Ashley. I guess I needed this one today because I am so convicted of my lack of...'pause'

Treats by Trish said...

What a great message! I often have little people getting on my last nerve - and I very seldom take the time to pause a moment and let God redirect my natural instincts. Thanks for sharing!!

Exum Family said...

Thank you for that! I"m doing a Bible study right now on the Proverbs 31 woman. We were just talking about our tasks around the home and how we often grumble about them rather than seeing them as an opportunity for service. One devotion asked, "How often have I done God’s will- such as holding my tongue…-and treated it as a “daily grind” rather than a delight?" I think this message that you shared goes right along with it. Thank you! I need to be reminded to pause and allow God to redirect my thinking.

Kelli said...

Much needed. Thanks for sharing.

Danyel Lintelman said...

Wow, did I need to hear that. It is amazing how you can read a verse so many times and it can still hit so close to home every time you read it. Thank you for sharing that. I really did need that.

Summer said...

This is such a great message. I really can get frustrated when my last nerve is being stepped on. I will have to start using the "pause" exerecise :)

Toni said...

Just got around to reading this today and it is just what I needed!Thanks for sharing!

Star Molegraaf said...

I so have fire-crackere blood. Thank you soooooo much for this,it was really good. I haven't looked at my "BLOGS" in a while, but sure am enjoying catching up on yours. I love how your page is done, with the music. I so wish I had the time to figure it out (it takes me a little while w/that kind of stuff :) Your family is beautiful and I can't wait to see pics of your sweet little Cash. Praying that it all goes beautiful with his birth and your first few magical days with him. Take care, and keep bloggin!